Wednesday, July 25, 2007

171/365 Someday My Prince Will Come

Have I mentioned how much I love Bill Evans? Hmmm. Looks like a word I used previously was awe. Let me say it now: I love Bill Evans.

Apparently Dave Brubeck, another favorite of mine, is the mastermind behind taking Disney tunes and turning them into jazz masterpieces. But my first exposure to both this tune and “Alice in Wonderland” was via Evans. The tunes themselves are good, of course. But jazz milks the sappy out of them. One suddenly sees that they aren’t so innocent after all, that they lie in wait in the keys, sultrily whispering “Play me.”

5 comments:

Deloney said...

As further proof that I'm Beatle-brained, I actually like Ringo's version of "When You Wish Upon a Star" which I heard on someone's copy of a Disney tribute album.

Helen said...

Gosh, "sultry" and "Disney" is one pairing I would never have imagined. Walt must be rolling over in his grave, or maybe he's doing a sexy spin instead.

Indigo Bunting said...

D: I don't think I've heard that. H: Smile.

pk said...

jazz does do that, and the ne plus ultra is John Coltrane's 'My Favourite Things' which isn't Disney of course: and Julie Andrews always has that hint of asperity....

Indigo Bunting said...

PK: You are so right about that piece. And I do believe I don't have it in my collection. That needs to be remedied.