Sunday, June 3, 2007

119/365 With a Little Help from My Friends

As I’m sure everyone knows, June 1 was the fortieth anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. Naturally, I played it in its entirety that day as I drove to New Jersey on my way to the Sweet Sixteen party.

When the birthday girl’s mother and I were in high school chorus together, one of pieces the director had us perform was a medley of Sgt. Pepper tunes, which is just so wrong on so many levels. Anyway . . . at the time, Sue had a crush on this guy named Andy, and at some point we changed the words of the WALHFMF chorus to:

Do you need Andy Body?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be Andy Body?
I want somebody to love.

We were so mature. And this silliness will likely stick with me forever.

3 comments:

Deloney said...

I played it yesterday. Hmm, I was 13 when it came out. I can't remember if I cajoled my parents into buying it for me right away or if I had to wait for my birthday (Aug. 24, bookmark this date for future presents). It certainly heralded a change. I have a high school yearbook photo of me taken in of all places shop class, 1967. I'm the only kid with bangs so that was the year things changed a bit.

"A Day in the Life" is still a masterpiece, but I think the whole album holds up as a kind of musical, counter-culture carnival.

Susan said...

I can think of worse things to be stuck with. That's funny. When did we stop changing song lyrics? I'd still think it was fun to do...if only it didn't take so much time...

Indigo Bunting said...

Del: "Counter-culture carnival." Nice. Be careful. I tend to have a freakish memory for birthdays.

Susan: I used to have a friend who rewrote a lot in a Weird Al Yankovic way and was likely even better at it.