Thursday, June 21, 2007

137/365 This Is the Theme to Garry’s Show

Back in the 80s, I was a fan of “It’s Garry’ Shandling’s Show.” It boasted just that kind of reflexive humor I enjoyed, something so about itself it was hilarious. This was no more obvious than in the theme song, which pretty much notes that it’s the theme song. According to Wikipedia, cast members didn’t like it. I wonder if that’s true. I loved it.

You can find it on Youtube, but its 30-secondsness comes at the end of the monologue. This particular clip cuts off at the very end, so here are the lyrics that endlessly amused me. I wouldn’t want you to miss anything.

This is the theme to Garry’s show,
The theme to Garry’s show.
Garry called me up and asked if I would write his theme song.
I’m almost halfway finished,
How do you like it so far,
How do you like the theme to Garry’s show?

This is the theme to Garry’s show,
The opening theme to Garry’s show.
This is the music that you hear as you watch the credits.
We’re almost to the part of where I start to whistle.
Then we’ll watch “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show.”

[whistling]

This was the theme to Garry Shandling’s show.

5 comments:

Deloney said...

There was tv before reality shows?

Indigo Bunting said...

Hard to even imagine, isn't it?

Helen said...

This is my first introduction to this show. Did it have a plot of any sort?

Speaking of which (well not really, but anyways) I've started watching the first season of Get Smart. It's still funny after all these years...

Bridgett said...

I was a kid in the 80s (yeah, i know), and we had HBO or whatever this was on--and I completely did not get this show. I bet I'd really like it these days...

Indigo Bunting said...

In all honesty, I don't remember that much about it, other than it was kind of a mock sitcom, with Garry "living his life" and involving the audience directly.

Helen: Glad to hear there's another Get Smart fan out there. I'm on Season 3 (it's taking me awhile...). Season 1 was definitely classic.