Sunday, June 10, 2007

126/365 The Sweetest Taboo

On Friday, some Northbrook friends—in particular, Tim and Valerie—got in touch to encourage us to meet them at Northbrook next weekend, along with some of the rest of the August gang.

I wish I could go. I’ve been fantasizing about Northbrook for weeks now. It’s going to be my only week of true vacation this summer. But my Tim and I are headed to the Boston Early Music Festival next weekend. We have tickets to some concerts and plan to sit in on a master class.

Still, over the past few weeks, Northbrook Tim has been creeping into my life a bit, as he was the guy who turned me on to the vodka gimlet, and I’ve found myself making them. I’m becoming a convert.

So on Friday, I made myself a gimlet, my Tim opened some wine, and at happy hour we toasted Northbrook Tim and Valerie. The soundtrack for the evening was Sade, who’s jazzy enough for such occasions.

Way back in the eighties, my coworker Deborah went to see Sade and watched her husband drool throughout the performance. She swears that no man can resist Sade. I don’t think my Tim would argue.

The Sweetest Taboo” is probably my favorite Sade song, and it always makes me think of my Tim:

You give me the sweetest taboo
That’s why I’m in love with you

You give me the sweetest taboo

Sometimes I think you’re just too good for me


You’ve got the biggest heart

Sometimes I think you’re just too good for me

3 comments:

Deloney said...

You hit a bullseye this time. I have all the Sade albums except the live one. She hasn't released very much considering she's been around since the mid-80s. People will say all her stuff sounds the same but I don't care. When you're in the mood for that swooning cosmopolitan vibe, she's the gal for me.

Indigo Bunting said...

No man can resist her.

"Swooning cosmopolitan vibe" is right. Which is maybe why a cocktail glass was so perfect.

I believe two things: All her stuff sounds the same. All her stuff does not sound the same.

Otter said...

My hubbie is a Sade junkie. But it could be worse. He used to love Jodi Watley and Mariah Carey until I turned him on to the B-52s.