Friday, June 1, 2007

117/365 Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen

I’m going to Claire’s Sweet Sixteen party in New Jersey tonight. I’ve never been to a Sweet Sixteen party.

Well, that’s not exactly true. When I was seventeen, I worked one party as part of a catering staff. As I toiled for $3.35/hour, no tips, they wheeled in a sports car for this kid. He and I were clearly from different worlds.

My parents always told me I could have a car anytime I wanted. All I had to do was pay for it. Thus it was that in 1985 at the age of twenty-three, I bought a 1973 Super Beetle refitted with a standard four-speed transmission—and I still had to take out a bank loan.

It was a Beetle that Claire’s mother and I cruised around in during high school. Hers, of course.

Here’s Neil Sedaka singing “Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen” the year I was born. Happy birthday, Claire.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, I didn't know they still held Sweet Sixteen parties. You don't still have your VW, do you?

Indigo Bunting said...

It was a bit of a rust heep when I bought it, so I'm afraid not. I did own a VW Golf for a decade after that.

Apparently, Sweet Sixteen parties are Big Business.

Susan said...

Love that song! And Neil Sedaka, too.

Otter said...

Is it going to be like the MTV show "Super Sweet Sixteen" because if it is, it will be awesome and really, really funny for all the wrong reasons.

Otter said...

I used to drive this cute VW GTI.

Hope you eat some really yummy cake at the sweet 16.

Indigo Bunting said...

A report: I did eat some pretty yummy cake (although her mother's red velvet was better than this one, of course). It was pretty funny hanging out watching teenagers. Forgot my binoculars, though.

Otter: I've never seen Super Sweet Sixteen, but I'm a big South Park fan and thoroughly enjoyed their takeoff on that show, in which Satan has one of those birthday parties and is constantly throwing hissy fits (until the end of the show, of course, when lesson is learned).