Thursday, June 28, 2007

144/365 Stairway to Heaven

And it’s whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forest will echo with laughter

The last-dance predecessor to “Free Bird,” of course, was Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.” Because it was the last-dance song near the end of my middle school years and into the first bit of high school, it will always have a little bit of that you’re-still-alone-loser tint to it. For those with more of a social life, it’s probably more nostalgic. Perhaps we should ask Helen.

It’s too bad the piece was overexposed. It’s a good song. It’s got that almost hobbity feel that a few Zeppelin tunes manage to conjure.

And now I have blogged a gross of songs. How much longer can I possibly last?

5 comments:

Sewa Yoleme said...

"Stairway to Heaven" at a DANCE? What a dreadful idea! I can't imagine anyone trying to dance to that. It was strictly for listening to while stoned, at least in my circle.

A more explicitly Tolkienish LedZep song, of course, is "Battle of Evermore," which enthralled me at the time even though I hadn't finished reading LOTR.

Indigo Bunting said...

Yeah, last dances weren't always meant for dancing, though. If you couldn't dance through the changes, you'd have to find something else to do.

And yeah, you bet I was referring to "Battle of Evermore."

Otter said...

And lets not forget Smoke On The Water.
I.B. your not going to quit are you?
A gross is a lot but still not a ton.
And with a ton well...that is so much more fun.

Indigo Bunting said...

DO: I'm trying! I posted #145 today! But it is daunting...

Helen said...

Alas, whatever social life I may have once had is long gone...