Tuesday, March 6, 2007

30/365 Layla

One night a couple of weeks ago, on our way home from the bar where Beatrix Kiddo holds forth, Tim and I got into a discussion about music. I guess Eric Clapton came up somehow, although I don’t think we’d heard him that night. Tim asked me to name the band who recorded “Layla,” and I was able to say, without hesitation, Derek and the Dominoes.

This somehow managed to impress Tim, as we are only in our midforties, and he wasn’t sure I had this one in the vault. Except when one of your best friends is named Leyla, then of course you do.

It was Leyla herself who spun the record for me in her pink-and-purple bedroom. I’d never heard of any Leyla but her, and I was impressed.

Deloney’s right—electric Layla’s the best version. (Where/when did he say that? I can’t find it now.)

Me, I apparently don’t have a rock-and-roll name.

7 comments:

Deloney said...

And for the record (so to speak) it was written for George Harrison's wife.

Susan said...

Oh, yeah--Deloney told me about that story. Pretty hot stuff!

Helen said...

Well, you can't just leave it at that! What's the story?

And Indigo, I don't have a rock 'n roll name either. I don't think it fits any musical genre, actually.

Otter said...

Helen, there is that beautiful song by The Silos - Picture of Helen.

As for me I always get Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam. So see all R&R names are not Cool.

Sabine said...

Everyone has a . Mine is Paula DeVille. My Country star name is Norma Jean Greenwood. After that I gave up.

Sabine said...

I don't know what's wrong with that. I said, Everyone has a Rock Star Name... etc...

Deloney said...

My rap name is Old Shady.

On with the story. George Harrison and Eric Clapton were best friends and by all accounts George didn't mind when his wife left him for Eric. However, in 1968 on the Beatles White Album George wrote a song about the sorry state of Eric's teeth. It's called Savoy Truffle. He disguised it a bit (as if it were about a girl) but Eric knew who the song was about because George had been bugging him to see a dentist. As usual I have to say I'm not making this up!

"Creme tangerine and montelimat
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream and a nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge really blows down those blues
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
But when the pain cuts through
You're going to know and how
The sweat is going to fill your head
When it becomes too much
You're going to shout aloud

But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle."