Thursday, March 29, 2007

53/365 Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet

The first two CDs I ever bought were by the Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet. I didn’t even own a CD player. This was back in the days when CD players were expensive, and I was poor.

I went to see these guys in concert and was completely blown away. I bought the CDs, had my friend Ken tape them for me, then saved them for the day I could afford to play them.

To hear these guys, go to their website, and click on Clips. I recommend the recording session for Fugue Around the Clock. I’m always amazed at how organlike recorders sound, each voice its own multinoted pipe. To hear a more modern, playful piece and an example of the instrument’s range (as well as some fun visuals), check out “The Jogger.”

3 comments:

Otter said...

Just watching them on the video was amazing. And what a great name for their group.

Susan said...

Fascinating! I've heard anything quite like that. I didn't have luck opening the clips file, but I found this YouTube video. Must be The Jogger, yes?

Helen said...

Interesting (not in quotation marks). I liked The Jogger. I think it's one of those groups that I would have to see perform live.