Monday, March 19, 2007

43/365 Bruce’s Philosopher’s Song

I went to my mailbox on Friday and picked up an unexpected package from Dana. “As hard as it may be,” read the card, “please remember to take turns.” Inside was a Tim the Enchanter plush hat. It looks OK on me, but my hair’s a little long. It looks great on my Tim the Enchanter.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail has only Monty Python in common with “Bruce’s Philosopher’s Song.” But hey, I wanted to show off the plush hat. A gift like that’s a great way to start a weekend.

As a fan of the ridiculous and irreverent, I have always been a fan of the “Philosopher’s Song.” I am sorry that Schopenhauer was dropped from the official lyrics, as the ones I learned included him. It has gone from:

David Hume could outconsume
Both Schopenhauer and Hegel

to:

David Hume could outconsume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

As it then goes on to:

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel,

I feel deeply the loss of the lovely alliteration of Schopenhauer with schloshed as Schlegel, probably my favorite phrase in the song. I’m not “permanently pissed,” but schtill.

6 comments:

Sewa Yoleme said...

By "official lyrics," do you mean the Broadway show? It's a Johnny-come-lately. For "official," you need to go back to the original television shows, or perhaps the old vinyl LPs they made.

Schopenhauer lives!

Otter said...

Well that was quite the song for a Monday, guess that hat really had both an effect and affect on you.

Helen said...

OK, this is weird, we both did a Monty Python post on the same day...

Helen said...

P.S. Love that last line!

Deloney said...

Nobody remembers FIRESIGN THEATRE.

Porgy Tirebiter!
He's a spy and a girl delighter,
Orgie Firefighter!
He's just a student like you.

If you're looking for a Captain of the Ringball Team,
You can bet he won't be there.
You'll find him pa-popping off at Pop's Sodium Shoppe,
Tr-trailing a red, tweet,tweet! with red hair.
Doobie doo-wah...
Porgy Tirebiter!
Just a student like you!
(PORGY:) "Like me?!"
Just a student like you!
(Father:) "Stop singing and finish your homework !"
Just a student like you! ooooooooooo..."

Indigo Bunting said...

SY: This, according to Wikipedia:

For a long time, opinion has been divided as to whether the sixth line is "Both Schopenhauer and Hegel" or just "Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel". However, the publication of the lyrics with the release of Monty Python Sings clarifies this to Hegel as the "official" lyrics. The reason for the confusion was that early versions of the song played live (included in the Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl film and on the albums Live at Drury Lane and Live at City Center) had the "Schopenhauer and Hegel" version.

Deloney: I feel so culturally bereft!