Tuesday, March 13, 2007

37/365 My Girl

I am unable to hear the first measures of the Temptations’ “My Girl” without thinking of my friend Wayne. It’s almost as if that song is the beginning of our buddy movie, the opening shot taken from a moving car on some road trip, speeding along some famous city bridge over water, sky bluer than blue. Cue title, opening credits (with a cast of close to a dozen).

Tim had started working at an activist organization in DC. This was a weekend staff retreat, families invited. I can’t remember where it was, but Tim and I went, and so did Craig.

Wayne had started working there recently, the same day as Tim, but he was a way-higher-up. I don’t remember if Wayne hosted the talent show, but he was the talent. He opened with “My Girl,” those perfect, immediately recognizable guitar notes grabbing everyone’s attention. His wife Sue sang with him. I didn’t know it then, but before long, I’d count this duet among my closest friends.

The other association I have with this song is a Baltimore news promo from the seventies about Channel 13’s weatherman, in which they substituted his name, Bob Turk, for the words my girl. Yes, advertising forever places connections in one’s mind, whether one wants them there or not.

But first and foremost, it is Wayne playing the guitar that night so long ago, Sue singing by his side, and everything that came after. I have really been missing them lately.

5 comments:

Sabine said...

Wonderful! You've made me miss him, too. :-)

Sewa Yoleme said...

I remember that retreat. (I should; I organized it!) And I remember Bob Turk and that wacky ad. I don't remember Wayne and Sue singing My Girl, though. Funny how something that was so significant for you just drops out of memory for someone else.

Helen said...

Another great story. And listening to this song made me nostalgic (for what I'm not sure).

Cedar Waxwing said...

Love that song. It makes me think of my daughter because as a preschooler she looked a lot like the little girl from the movie My Girl. Wasn't that song on the soundtrack to The Big Chill?

Great post Indigo. I miss Wayne and Sue as well, dammit!

Otter said...

I'm glad your new memeory pushes out the Bob Turk one.
Damn advertisers ruining songs, like buzzing flies, it annoys me.