Sunday, March 25, 2007

49/365 Stand Up and Be Strong

Get up everybody, get off your ass
We gotta do something and we got to do it fast
Cause the people are hungry, starvin’ and the fuel is low
Don’t wait for Jesus, he ain’t comin’ back no mo’
We gotta sacrifice, have no fear
Shed no blood, shed no tears
We’ve gotta make our move, get out of our way
Cause we’ve been waiting way too long
We don’t weep, we don’t moan
We’ve got a mind of our own
That’s right, we can’t go wrong
If we stand up and be strong

I was at a Dave Grisman concert last fall when the house announced they’d just booked Keb’ Mo’. I tried to get tickets that night, but they weren’t on sale yet. Thanksgiving morning (the day they went on sale) I was bugging my brother-in-law for quiet computer access so I could secretly buy tickets as a present for Tim, who’s a big fan. I got front-row seats.

The concert was last night.

This performance by one of the blues greats may have spoiled me for any future second-row-and-back nonsense. Tant pis pour moi, eh?

He does killer ballads, and fast stuff slays me even quicker, like this call-to-action song.

[A note for Maureen: I shot my thong onstage during the first set when he played my favorite song, “Am I Wrong?” I’m sure he was wearing it during the second set.]

7 comments:

Sewa Yoleme said...

Reminds me of the Brecht song from Threepenny Opera:

You gentlemen who think you have a mission
To purge us of the seven deadly sins
Should first sort out the basic food position
Then start your preaching, that’s where it begins

You lot who preach restraint and watch your waist as well
Should learn, for once, the way the world is run
However much you twist or whatever lies that you tell
Food is the first thing, morals follow on

So first make sure that those who are now starving
Get proper helpings when we all start carving

Otter said...

Keb Mo? You went to see Keb Mo front row. I hope Tim has kissed your feet all weekend. I highly doubt Gary even knows who Keb Mo is.

Sabine said...

I don't know this guy, and I won't be able to listen to your link until tomorrow, but does he look like Michael Scott? (I'm sure I remember you saying you watch The Office.)
This line, "Don’t wait for Jesus, he ain’t comin’ back no mo’"

reminded me of a line when Michael was dumped by his girlfriend, and his new slogan was bros before hoes, because "you treat your ho great, and you tell her she's better than all the other hoes, then one day, your ho ain't your ho no mo". (Or something like that - you can see this comment has almost nothing to do with your original post.)

Thanks for letting me know about the thong. Saved me the awkwardness of asking. :-)

Indigo Bunting said...

SY: See? You coulda had your own music blog. Glad you're (quietly) playing along.

LO: Tim was very appreciative! I got really lucky with those tickets. The only other time I had front-row seats was to a Cleo Laine concert a hundred years ago. And I had third-row seats to a Brubeck concert once. That was awesome too.

MM: He doesn't look like Michael Scott to me, but he might to Stephen Colbert (let's see who gets that reference!). And yes, I've seen every ep of the Office, both British and American. I recall the ho' no' mo' speech!

Cedar Waxwing said...

Thong?

Indigo Bunting said...

CW: See previous discussion at Earwig's blog, here.

Unknown said...

Halloo All =)
I would love to have the lyrics (with chords much better) of this song, can anybody help?

Thanks in advance =)

Rockin' Angels