Tuesday, April 3, 2007

58/365 I Do the Rock

I admit to an undying loyalty to Tim Curry. I realize his overall oeuvre lacks consistency. But ever since he appeared in the Rocky Horror Picture Show as Dr. Frank N. Furter, my heart has belonged to him. Makes me oooh-oooh . . . shake. Makes me wanna . . .

I was in the room with him once, during his Spamalot run.

In college I was a fan of a couple of his albums. My favorite track to blast is “I Do the Rock.” A grand gold mine of cultural references. My favorite verse is the political one, and it goes like this:

Carter, Begin, and Sadat
Brezhnev, Teng, and Castro
Every day negotiate us closer to disastro
Idi Amin and the Shah
and Al Fatah is quite bizarre
I could never get the hang of ideology
I do the rock

You can watch Curry do the rock here. I also found a fun website, “The Annotated ‘I Do the Rock,’” with explanations for each verse.

It’s stimulating! I’m a keen student!

3 comments:

Helen said...

"Castro" and "disastro"... love it!

Cedar Waxwing said...

I love Tim Curry too. We recently listened to a book on tape that he narrated. It was fun.

Indigo Bunting said...

He'd be a good reader for that. I've only gotten through the first 10 of those. Working on it...