Friday, April 27, 2007

82/365 Dust in the Wind

Don’t hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, all your money won’t another minute buy
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

The summer before I left home for college, it seemed that every time I was in the car to meet my boyfriend somewhere, or if we were out together, this Kansas song would start to play on the radio. If it had just been released, that wouldn’t have seemed so odd (marketing is marketing, after all), but it was two years old. At the time, it seemed significant to me, what with me leaving town and knowing that it would be a bit much for us to try to maintain a long-distance relationship. I was only eighteen and wanted to be as open as possible to whatever was out there, not tied down. The thing is, the guy was a great one, we really only had a few months together, and I always wish we’d had a bit more time than that.

[Note: A Beatrix Kiddo sighting: Went to a bon voyage party for a friend last night at BK’s bar. It was packed and she was completely overworked. She was wearing a T-shirt that said something to the effect of “Don’t make me violate my parole.” If you haven’t already, check out her blog Overheard at the Bar. Especially the March 30 entry, “A Little Advice to Live By.”]

3 comments:

Helen said...

I'm feeling slightly down now (although some of the images in the video were amusing, like the 2 kittens playing at Star Wars).

Cedar Waxwing said...

I like that song, always have.

Deloney said...

I liked your story. There's something kinda sweet/sad and autumnal about the song.