Wednesday, April 25, 2007

80/365 Caramel

When I hear this Suzanne Vega song, I’m convinced that it’s going to be one of those standards still covered in jazz clubs and smoky bars everywhere in 2036.

It won’t do
to dream of caramel,
to think of cinnamon
and long for you.
It won’t do
to stir a deep desire,
to fan a hidden fire
that can never burn true.
I know your name,
I know your skin,
I know the way
these things begin;
But I don’t know
how I would live with myself,
what I’d forgive of myself
if you don’t go.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, I'm going to have to listen to that again tonight with a glass of wine and the lights turned down low.

Otter said...

Good stuff.
Vega is one of my favs. What a treat, I've never heard that song before.

Funny, I've been writing a lot about food lately, especially candy bars and apple pie.

Susan said...

Well! That was a treat, thanks. I'll have to start thinking of Suzanne Vega again.

Susan said...

Oh, and BTW, here's a link that explains how to hand-feed hummingbirds. I'm gonna try it. Anyone want to join me?

Susan said...

Oops! Here's the link.

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: I can hardly believe that link. Very cool. I will think about this... let me know if you're successful!

Deloney said...

Didn't she write a depressing song about a tuba?

"She played a tuba..."

That's all I remember.

Helen said...

How can one write a depressing song about a tuba? They seem like such humourous instruments.

Susan said...

No, that was a poobah, Deloney.

Indigo Bunting said...

Deloney: You make me laugh.