Wednesday, April 18, 2007

73/365 How Come

It’s just man killing man killing man killing man killing man killing man, I don’t understand.

I discovered Ray LaMontagne on Sioux’s riverfront porch during one of those summer champagne happy hours. This song was my favorite on Trouble. It’s the one with energy, the one that can make you dance around. It’s been running through my head, in part because this winter thing is getting to be a drag and I’m achin’ for Sioux to move up for the summer to resume the late-afternoon rituals.

But with the Virginia Tech shootings on Monday (my former boyfriend and his grad-school wife are OK), I’ve found myself spinning this one a few times. To hear the electric studio version that really gets my motor running (but with some oddly juxtaposed images), click here. For just Ray and his guitar, click here.

People on the street now, faces long and grim
Souls are feeling heavy and faith is growing thin
Fears are getting stronger, you can feel them on the rise
Hopelessness got some by the throat, you can see it in their eyes
I said how come
How come
Everybody on a shoestring, everybody in a hole
Everybody on this jet plane crossing their fingers and toes
Government man spin his politics till he got you pinned
Everybody trying to reach out to each other, but they don’t know where to begin
I said how come I can’t tell
the free world from living hell
I said how come
How come all I see
is a child of god in misery
I said how come

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like this song... and it sort of sounds like something they'd use on a Network TV show during the last ten minutes of a season (like during a montage) to rap everything up.

Helen said...

I don't understand either.

I've never heard of this guy, thanks for the intro...

Indigo Bunting said...

Bobby: You're right. The last few minutes of shows (even individual eps) are getting very musically deep.

Helen: Some of his stuff is very cool.

Cedar Waxwing said...

I like this singer - had not heard of him before.

Good pick for this tragedy. How come? is right.