Saturday, April 14, 2007

69/365 (Theme from) Get Smart

Rebecca and I hosted our book group Thursday night. Hosting book group includes feeding everyone who tells you she will show up. We had fifteen reservations.

Becca made quiches. A lot of quiches. We had a (snow)storm. Conditions were fine down here in the valley, but it was an elevation thing, and some people didn’t show.

We had eleven people. And eight quiches. You can imagine the leftovers. Not only lots of quiche, but lots of salad, lots of appetizers. Becca’s off to DC for five days, so she left 3.5 quiches at my house to dispose of—to throw out if I had to. I hate throwing out perfectly good food.

One quiche was intact (i.e., not cut into or made up of leftover parts of many quiches, not actually Frankensteined, as it were), so it went into my tiny freezer. Yesterday I took one next door to Paul and Lynda. I was, in part, spending the day thinking about a couple of things: One, I am plunging headlong into this head cold that I’ve been working 10 days to avoid. Two, I don’t have a wild, wild life, but I have a lot of quiche.

Alison was coming over for dinner and to do her laundry, and I called Ron too. I warned them both that I needed them to eat as much food as possible and take some with them. And I was getting sick, so it was going to be a low-key evening. (This, for me, was code for Don’t be surprised if I have to watch some mindless TV.)

My friends are such troopers. They not only ate quiche and helped drink an already-opened bottle of wine, but they are true salad eaters too. At the end of the evening, they dutifully accepted their shares of the remaining quiche, no protests.

Ron had brought along some Rocky Road, some strawberries, a banana, and a can of whipped cream. I guess there are various ways that scenario could have played out, but I am sick, so we made yummy bowls of dessert and watched no fewer than three episodes of Get Smart from season 2, reminiscing about the ages we were when these episodes first aired (2, 5, 11). Ron made the almost obligatory admission to having a thing for 99. Maybe I should have held off on a Get Smart post until my 99th. Or 86th. But given 99 and whipped cream in the same post, maybe the number it fell to is just right.

For me, it’s the eyes of the Chief that make my heart go all aflutter.

12 comments:

Deloney said...

Max and 99 never should have married. That's when the show jumped the shark. But up until then it was an absolute riot.

Indigo Bunting said...

D: I haven't gotten that far yet (in my project to watch of the whole series), but I remember feeling that way even as a young kid. I think a lot of people doing the show felt the same way, but TV always manages to go formula. As I can't really remember when this happens, I'm hoping I have a couple of seasons left before I have to face it.

Cedar Waxwing said...

I'll have to rent a season of Get Smart. I never really liked it, but watched it just the same.

Loved your long post about quiche. Hope you are feeling better.

Otter said...

Great post. I was right there with you having had my craft group over last night. If you're Quiche girl then I'm Pasta Salad Mama.

All the great shows have had relationships that were never consummated.

I think your project is awesome. Maybe I could get my husband to do something like this with the Wonder Years, he's still bitter that he missed the last episode.

Indigo Bunting said...

I wonder if I saw the last ep of Wonder Years. That was a good show. I have to say, it's fun watching a series from start to finish with little interruption.

Deloney said...

I know a lot of people say the 70s were the real heydays of the American sitcom with shows like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart and Mash etc. I get that point of view but I'm a sucker for the screwball sitcoms from the 60s. I have a friend (younger than I am) who is addicted to sitcoms from the 50s. He thinks "Car 54 Where Are You" is the funniest show he's ever seen. I agree with him that "The Honeymooners" was amazing but...that sad little kitchen! And that heartbreaking theme song!

Indigo Bunting said...

I have always wanted to see "Car 54 Where Are You?" Fred Gwynne retired near my hometown. Not that I ever ran into him, and I had basically left by then.

Did you ever see Louis CK's short-lived HBO series "Lucky Louie"? Set was based on the Honeymooners set, allegedly.

Deloney said...

No, I've never seen Lucky Louis...sometime I hope.

I've just been informed by my afternoon guest that Max & 99 don't get married until the last season. And something even worse happens. Yes, I mean crotch candy.

Indigo Bunting said...

Deloney: No! Oh god, nooooooooo!

Deloney said...

(twins)

Indigo Bunting said...

(I thought I remembered that.)

Helen said...

Oh, what a brilliant use of numbers in this post. Did the twins get conventional names, or numbers?