Thursday, February 15, 2007

11/365 Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)

For Susan

I read her first entry. How do I know that song? Memory delay. . . then a woman’s voice. Of course. Astrud Gilberto, on my most yummiest Getz/Gilberto album, featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Beyond the accent, there’s something about Astrud’s almost-hesitant attack on English lyrics that make it sound like she’d be more comfortable going native. I imagine myself trying to pull off singing in Portuguese. I don’t think I’d end up a bossa nova/jazz sensation.

I suspect Susan might.

3 comments:

Otter said...

I didn't know this song partly because John Hiatt, Bob Dylan nor The Clash every sang it. Although I did find Art Garfunkle did a version of it.
Really like the Stan Getz's take on it...yummy is right.

Susan said...

LOL...I only achieve bossa nova/jazz sensation status when I visit the nursing home.

Lisa mentioned Getz in her comment on my blog, and I immediately thought of the wonderful Getz/Gilberto album, which I haven't heard in years. It's time to acquire a CD. You probably know the story about how Astrud wasn't a professional singer...she sat in because she was there as the guitarist's wife. Or at least that's the story...

I'm honored to have an entry dedicated to me--thank you!

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: I had heard that Astrud story, and it fits. She's not an amazing singer, but a competent one, and there's something charming (and now evocative) about her voice...