Wednesday, February 21, 2007

17/365 Get a Move On/Bird’s Lament

After the earlier discussion with lolololo/Otter about the heartbreak and wonder of popular music in ads, I’ve thought of a few more pieces I had to track down and own as the result of commercials (the posting of which will take me into the weekend). This first example led me not to one CD, but two, and both were hard to get.

It was a Lincoln Navigator commercial. I can’t find the commercial online, but it involved a New Orleans backdrop, I think. The tune was Mr. Scruff’s “Get a Move On.” Out of print. I bought a used copy for some ridiculous price but have never looked back.

Once I got the CD, though, I realized that Mr. Scruff had sampled (and sped up) an artist called Moondog, a song called “Bird’s Lament” (in memory of Charlie Parker). Moondog, aka Louis T. Hardin, was a blind street musician in New York. He recorded a lot, and he’s one of those guys I should have known about, but didn’t. I found “Bird’s Lament” listed on a CD called Sax Pax for a Sax—again, out of print. I watched used copies on Amazon til I could get one for $30 (for a long time, they started at $80—I am not making this up). The collection is quirky and astounding, as amazing an entwining of sax voices as I’ve ever heard.

All because of a Lincoln Navigator commercial. Should I be grateful I finally found this stuff, or horrified that it happened this way?*

*Rhetorical. Really.

9 comments:

Otter said...

Well see this is just proof that there are at least two sides to every (commericial ruined this song)story.

But in the end it didn't get you to buy a Lincoln Navigator, now did it?
No,just a more responsibly priced rare CD!

Otter said...

Just listened to that delicious song "Get a Move On". THANKS!

And I know many will disagree but one thing I miss about albums (vs. digitally mastered CD's) is the beautiful pop and crackle of vinyl.

Indigo Bunting said...

LO: You're right. I did not buy a Lincoln Navigator. Buying two CDs saved me a LOT of money, and I thank you for this perspective. Glad you liked the song. I can't get enough of it. And I know what you mean about that snap, crackle, and pop. Sadly, I don't have a working turntable at the moment.

Helen said...

Oh, I just found this, yay! So... I think you need to change your description. You're obviously not dropping out after 1 or 2 days, and this definitely doesn't constitute the briefest of write-ups!

Indigo Bunting said...

Yeah, I think I'm in, as long as I can sometimes write "I listened to ____ today. It was good."

Sabine said...

Does Rani Arbo do a cover of it?

Indigo Bunting said...

mm: Shockingly, as far as I know, she doesn't. But if you decide you love this tune, she very well might.

Susan said...

I'm stunned. I used to work at Rockefeller Center, later living on 55th and 6th, and I used to talk to Moondog all the time. I had no idea of his accomplishments until I followed your link. Yikes!

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: I had a feeling you would know who Moondog was. And somehow it doesn't surprise me that you knew him. But I am shocked by the role I've played in your enlightenment. Cool. If you can find it, check out Sax Pax for a Sax...