Friday, February 23, 2007

19/365 Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World

This one’s so beautiful it can make me cry. Some toy commercial used the opening bars around Christmastime years ago. Then I heard it at the end of a film, Finding Forester, and I stayed for the credits. Iz Kamakawiwo`ole died ten years ago, but he left behind some great music. One of my gay friends, while listening, exclaimed: “But he’s got the words wrong!” To me, it’s endearing, improvisational. But to him, well, it’s the national anthem. Don’t mess with the Rainbow.

8 comments:

Sewa Yoleme said...

Huh. Your conversation with your friend seems so...familiar, somehow...

Shame the ad and movie industry is now overusing Iz's version to death. Same with Hallelujah (though it's always a cover, never the Leonard Cohen original)--that sweet song is now obnoxiously ubiquitous.

Indigo Bunting said...

I agree. I know I've heard those opening bars on ANOTHER commercial, and you'd think they wouldn't want to be associated with whatever the last commercial was. Overuse sucks. But I still love this song.

Otter said...

Nice call going with Iz Kamakawiwo... it used to make the old roommate cry whenever he heard it, which was sort of funny.

Deloney said...

That and Moon River are sort of secular hymns.

Sabine said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Thank you! This was beautiful this morning.

Helen said...

Yes, thank you. And for the laugh re not messing with the national anthem!

Susan said...

Completely OT, do you know about this?

Cedar Waxwing said...

Wow, Thanks Indigo. I've heard this song but never knew who did it. I assumed it was just something that was used for advertisements. I had no idea.