Tuesday, February 20, 2007

16/365 Sarah the Whale/The Whale Song

Maybe it’s because it’s winter. Maybe it’s because dancing Friday and cross-country skiing Saturday so crippled me that I haven’t had any exercise since. Maybe it’s because I’ve been eating like a bird (i.e., seven times my own weight in a day). But “Sarah the Whale” keeps looping through my head.

Burl Ives recorded it, and I’m guessing he wasn’t the only one. It’s sung to the tune of “Dixie,” and the verse I can’t shake is:

Her name is Sarah and she’s a peach
But you can’t leave food within her reach
Nor nursemaids
Nor Airedales
Nor chocolate
Ice-cream sodas.


Sigh. So true.

Maybe I’ll get to the ice rink today. If not, maybe onto the NordicTrack. I think my hip has stopped talking to me, and I can start balancing it all out again. If not, well:

What can you do in a case like that?
What can you do but sit on your hat
Or your toothbrush
Or your grandmother
Or anything else
That’s helpless?

3 comments:

Sabine said...

at the risk of not being believed, I almost posted a Burl Ives song today. Really.

I don't know this one -- I'll have to go look it up on youtube :)

Susan said...

Did Sarah eat Airedales, or am I misinterpreting? No matter--I can relate to the rest.

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: Although I can't claim to be an expert on interpretation of lyrics (or whale diets), I believe you are correct.

mm: Maybe Burl's in the air these days. If he's on the air (or line), let me know.