Monday, February 5, 2007

1/365 Tangled Up in Blue

In 1982, Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks was the soundtrack of falling in love. The album was already eight years old then, already a nostalgia piece. Music can make you have nostalgia about nostalgia.

I love every bloody track of it, but “Tangled Up in Blue” grabs me at the start and brings me back to the whole album, to the whole early-80s-falling-in-love thing. “The only thing I knew how to do was to keep on keepin’ on like a bird that flew . . .” Now there’s a line for an Indigo Bunting.

My friend Sioux says that one morning, her daughter Aidan, who at the time was young enough to be sleeping in a crib but old enough to have language, called to her parents one morning from the other bedroom: “Mommy! I’m tangled up in blue!”

4 comments:

Otter said...

This is my most favotite album of all times!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes Indigo what a line for you.

Thanks for playing. :-) You are now added to the list.

And for the record this doesn't have to be the same pressure as the last 365.I (like you) am not sure how this will pan out...I may have A LOT of just listened to this...days.

I did pull out Don Dixon's Praying Mantis and jam this am. Ask B.K. I'm sure she know this song and can hum a few bars (at the bar) Ha Ha. I'm so corny, it is sick.

P.S. I added Alphabird to my Inotterspace Blog.

P.P.S. Check out Endment's blog...she is a fellow bird lover/photographer.

Otter said...

Oh! I ran out of time before (had to take my son to work) and just now read Sioux and Aidan's posts.
This is completely marvelous!!!
I had forgotten about the York P.P.and all the discussion it prompted.

Deloney said...

1975 was quite a year: Blood on the Tracks, Born to Run, Patti Smith's Horses.

Indigo Bunting said...

Otter: One of the best albums ever! Thanks for all the links. I'll have to get your Otter blog linked up to Alphabird. Thanks for the Endment recommendation! Chickadees eating out of her hand! Looking forward to finding time to read some it. And I'll have to check in with BK. She has so much music. She better start playing.

Deloney: During the 70s, I somehow felt I'd missed so much of the good music and I'd never get nostalgic about the 70s. I was wrong.