Wednesday, February 7, 2007

3/365 The Scotsman

Deloney’s mention of sea shanties in his comment on the previous entry made me think of Stan Rogers, who I thought had recorded the drinking song, “The Scotsman.” On a Google search for lyrics, though, my memory was jarred that it was actually on a Bryan Bowers recording I had (I was listening to both artists about the same time). I can’t remember for sure which I heard first: my friend Wayne belting this song in his beautiful baritone or Bowers on the album. Probably Wayne owned the album, because I think I had it on a tape copy.

The song, of course, is wondering if it’s true what they don’t wear beneath the kilt.

I went to see Bryan Bowers perform once, when I was briefly living in Illinois. The day is memorable because the morning of the concert, I woke up knowing I had to see a dentist. Immediately. It was a Sunday, but I talked someone into it. The dentist met me at his office, driving up on his BMW motorcycle. He gave me penicillin to get rid of the swelling and pain; within days, those pesky wisdom teeth were extracted.

The Scotsman woke up to something a bit more confusing than impacted wisdom teeth, but ultimately flattering.

2 comments:

Deloney said...

I don't know Bryan Bowers at all but Stan Rogers is an icon up here.

Otter said...

I must have lead a very sheltered life cause I never heard this song before. Thanks for the link.

But it sure shed some light as to why the old man, his kilt and his smile used to hang-out at the McD's on Sheridan Road near my all woman's college.