Tuesday, February 6, 2007

2/365 Joy to the World

It’s my first memory of finding out there was music on the radio that I was supposed to know about, music that had nothing to do with a Broadway production. I was in third grade, maybe fourth, when I became part of the obligatory belting of this song from atop the jungle gym. Everyone up there better know the words. (N.B.: This was my introduction to the term three dog night.)

The other contender for this first-awareness spot is Don McLean’s “American Pie,” but I believe it was released slightly later. All elementary school memory of that song is indoors. It’s definitely a more cerebral work, better suited for the classroom.

1 comment:

Deloney said...

I can imagine kids singing it. In school (in Canada) we learned strange British military songs like "Marching to Pretoria" and Newfoundland sea shanties.