Friday, May 18, 2007

103/365 Black Friday

When Black Friday comes I’ll fly down to Muswellbrook
Gonna strike all the big red words from my little black book
Gonna do just what I please, gonna wear no socks and shoes
With nothing to do but feed all the kangaroos

Once I met Tim, way back in college, I started listening to a lot more Steely Dan. In retrospect, they seem like a rather light group for a skateboard rocker to have liked. I didn’t realize how jazz driven they were until much later on, after I realized I might be a jazz freak. Loved the crazy lyrics.

I assume you know what a Steely Dan is. If you don’t, you have some Internet homework to do.

My favorite album is probably Katy Lied. This tune starts it off.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I was a huge Steely Dan fan, and still have one of their cassettes. I must admit however, I have no idea what a Steely Dan is. Off to search for the meaning now...

Susan said...

I was about to write, "Uh-oh, we have a problem: I dislike Steely Dan." But then I listened to the song, and I liked it. It's much bluesier than I remember SD being. A lot of my jazz-loving friends are SD fans, but I never got their sound for some reason. Maybe I just needed more exposure to it.

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: And this tune's not even as jazzy as they can get. They are a strange mix, though, of pop/rock/jazz.