Sunday, May 27, 2007

112/365 The Look of Love

The look of love is in your eyes
The look your smile can’t disguise
The look of love is saying so much more
Than just words could ever say
And what my heart has heard

Well, it takes my breath away


Yesterday, around 4:00, I saw Tim relaxing on the couch in the living room. Relaxing. In our own home. Before dinner. This is a rarity for either one of us, it seems.

He suggested martinis, but because we were planning to see a show, we opted for the less intense but refreshing gin and tonic. Tim picked the music (knowing that for me, it had to be jazz), even picked out the track on the CD, and said This one’s for you.

It was Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “The Look of Love” on the same-titled Diana Krall CD.

The reason Tim would pick this one out for me is that eons ago I informed him that this was among the first songs I ever knew lyrics to in their entirety.* My parents had at least one album with lots of Bacharach/David tunes, and I became very familiar with them long before my age neared double digits.

Now, these songs are totally evocative of the 60s for me, and listening to them, I can almost imagine I know what it was like to be an adult then, even if what I’m really doing is remembering wanting to be an adult then and being sure I knew what it would be like. Popular music always feels like it’s informing you, and sometimes part of the story is the only part you want to know anyway.

I love Krall’s cover of this tune, but for Maureen, here’s a link to Dusty Springfield.

*Or maybe he was just trying to be romantic.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I love the Krall version, of course. What a very nice cocktail hour you describe...

Helen said...

I love the tiny footnote, almost like a whisper. (Psst, hey, did you know Tim is romantic?)

Otter said...

Sweet. I'm going with romanatic.

I think drinking gin and tonics is like being in a forest of pine trees on a hot summer's day.

Indigo Bunting said...

LO: I think you're right.