Friday, May 25, 2007

110/365 Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore

Part of my morning ritual is scanning New York Times headlines/articles online. As you might imagine, this can get quite depressing. I feel an obligation to be semi-informed, though, however semi it is.

Some things about the world don’t seem to change much. One of those things is that I still love this John Prine song from his 1971 album.

While digesting Reader’s Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag with gum on the back
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I’d tell her how good I feel.

But your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.
They’re already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don’t like killin’
No matter what the reason’s for,
And your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.

6 comments:

Helen said...

I don't know where I've been my whole life: I first heard of John Prine a couple of months ago.

Interesting comments under the video...

Otter said...

Sigh...John Prine is so unknown comapred to the greatness of his writing. While young rocking punks with little talent/ability get all the glory.

Otter said...

Great song! And my man Mason Jenning covers it from time to time at shows.

Cedar Waxwing said...

I have got to listen to Prine. I know I'll love him. One of my best friends has tried to get me to give him a listen, and I never tried.

Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

I am always amazed at the peopleno one has heard of.

John Prine.

Tom Paxton

Phil Ochs

Me

OK, I can fully see why no one knows about me.

But these people are, in many ways, as important political figures as anyone who has held an elected office in this country.

Thank you for reminding us.

Indigo Bunting said...

I'm really familiar with Prine and Paxton, and I know who Ochs is, but I have to admit I haven't followed up. The good news is, I've heard of you, and have read more of you than I know of Ochs.

Count yourself among those as important as anyone who has held elected office...It's good to know you're out there.