Saturday, May 26, 2007

111/365 I Am the Walrus

Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday.
Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob.

What I love most about the Beatles is how much their music evolved over only eight years, and how, for me, it only got better and better. I’m definitely more of a fan of the later stuff, but when I listen to the early, more pop songs, I find myself thinking, Damn, that’s good, in spite of myself.

Here’s a little 1967 ditty, kind of midlife Beatles.

8 comments:

Deloney said...

I won the first two Beatles albums in a radio contest. "Tell us why you love the Beatles." First prize was a pair of tickets to see them. I was a runner-up.

Indigo Bunting said...

That's a wonderful story (but too bad about the tix). Do you remember what you wrote? I think you should post it here.

Sewa Yoleme said...

Wow. All this time I thought they were singing "Coo coo ca-choo"!

Deloney said...

I'm guessing:

"The Beatles have a good beat because of their drummer Ringo. The girls like Paul best but I like John. George is fab and plays guitar in the group. My Mum was born in Liverpool too. That's where the Beatles were born. My friends don't believe my Mum was born is Liverpool but she was. She showed me the papers. The Dave Clark Five are pretty good and so are the Searchers, but they are not as gear as the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO91-Z1QMNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSy5I3zsAA

Deloney said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1sN8AGBuw

Indigo Bunting said...

Del: Fun to hear "Love Potion #9" again, and for all the Beatles I have, I don't have "I'm Down" on any of my discs.

Otter said...

My Junior High music teacher loved The Beatles. I remember watching this film in her class. And lots of other Beatles shorts and films.
I'm totally amazed to watch it now, remembering all the hidden meanings in the song she taught us about. I was only like 11 years old. Should 11 year olders been learning stuff like this back in 1973?

Indigo Bunting said...

Just so long as they're learning stuff like this now...