Thursday, May 10, 2007

95/365 Up a Lazy River

Up a lazy river by the old mill stream
That lazy, hazy river where we both can dream
Linger in the shade of an old oak tree
Throw away your troubles, dream a dream with me

Have I really only blogged one Hoagy Carmichael tune? It feels like more, because others of you have already covered “Georgia on My Mind” and “Stardust.”

Carmichael gets a nod today because last night his son, Hoagy B. Carmichael, and I both showed up at an event honoring Stan Bogdan, the great American fly-reel maker. Unfortunately, a last-minute conflict meant that this Hoagy Carmichael could only stay for the cocktail hour.

He arrived carrying a big brown paper bag with a handle. Inside was a copy of his book, The Grand Cascapedia River: A History, Volume 1. I had run an excerpt (in the small fly-fishing journal I edit) as the book was going to press.

This copy was for me. It’s leather bound and slipcased. It’s beautiful. I was thrilled (and frankly, quite touched—a word that here means “emotionally stirred, as with gratitude”) to receive it.

Later, as I stashed it away, I noticed the shrink wrapping. It must not be signed, I thought sadly.

But after dinner, after I caught a cab at Grand Central, after I switched from high heels to Dansko clogs while riding in said cab, after I climbed the five flights of stairs to my sister’s apartment, I took a closer look. The shrink wrap was slit along the slipcase. I tilted the case and let the book slip. Opened it. It was signed. Of course it was.

When I met Hoagy in person last year, only after dinner did I get up the nerve to mention that I was a big fan of his father’s work.

Connections through the world of fly fishing can be strange, wonderful, and full of characters.

Here’s Up a Lazy River (with some unnecessary silly banter up front).

5 comments:

Helen said...

Aaaggghhh! I can't watch anything on Youtube today. Anyways, welcome back!

Cedar Waxwing said...

Yeah, welcome back. And cool about the connection.

And, have you been reading Lemony Snickett lately (a word that here means in the past few months)?

Indigo Bunting said...

Good to be back, she says, racing out the door. And I was counting on someone picking up the Lemony Snicket reference. I read them off and on over the past few years. I finished The Grim Grotto while I was in New York and just started The Penultimate Peril last night.

Sabine said...

Not sayin' anything now, but once you've finished the series please let me know.

Indigo Bunting said...

mm: Will do. I have to actually purchase the last book yet...