Monday, May 7, 2007

92/365 Private Idaho

I first saw the B-52’s on Saturday Night Live. I don’t remember what they performed, but it was probably “Rock Lobster.” At first, I thought it was a joke—I expected one of the chicks to be a wigged Laraine Newman. Pretty soon, though, it became clear that they were for real.

Now that it’s spring again, I can’t stop playing them. There’s a part of me that feels like I was born to be in a band like this, singing songs like this, that I missed my calling.

I love trying to dig meaning out of this wild potato of a song.

Keep off the path, beware the gate,
watch out for signs that say “hidden driveways.”
Don’t let the chlorine in your eyes
blind you to the awful surprise
that’s waitin’ for you at
the bottom of the bottomless blue blue blue pool.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I think every so often they should play music like this over the PA system at work; it would help keep people awake. And in addition to casual Fridays, they should have big (bad?) hair day Mondays or something.

Helen said...

PS Love that "wild potato of a song"!

Susan said...

I've never heard the B-52's, but one of my best friends loves them. See? Another connection!

Cedar Waxwing said...

My husband was really into the B-52's at one time.

Otter said...

"There’s a part of me that feels like I was born to be in a band like this, singing songs like this, that I missed my calling."
That really got me. I wonder how many people out there feel exactly like you've described about something be it a band or a book or a show or a ?.

Indigo Bunting said...

Hey gang. I'm in NYC and can't seem to hook my computer up with Internet. I'll post when I get home Friday!

Helen said...

It's unseemly to gloat...